The word ‘above’ in this sentence is a/an--
Ans - adjective
ব্যাখ্যা: প্রদত্ত বাক্যে above শব্দটি noun address কে qualify করায় শব্দটি adjective। adjective সর্বদা noun বা pronoun- এর দোষ, গুণ, অবস্থা, সংখ্যা, পরিমাপ নির্দেশ করে।
2. In which sentence is the word ‘past’ used as a preposition?
Ans - Tania was a wonderful singer, but she’s past her prime.
ব্যাখ্যা: Tania was a wonderful singer, but she’s past her prime বাক্যে past শব্দটি preposition, কারণ past শব্দটি noun-এর পূর্বে বসে বাক্যের অন্য word -এর সাথে সম্পর্ক নির্দেশ করছে। তাছাড়া প্রথম দুটি বাক্যে past noun আর তৃতীয় বাক্যে past adverb, কারণ past শুধু verb-এর সাথে ব্যবহৃত হয়েছে।
3. The word ‘sibling’ means --
Ans - a brother or sister
ব্যাখ্যা: Sibling শব্দটির বাংলা অর্থ একই পিতামাতার সন্তান; ভাই বা বোন। সুতরাং Sibling অর্থ a brother or sister.
4. Fill in the blank:
As she was talking, he suddenly broke -- , saying ‘That’s a lie!’
Ans - in
ব্যাখ্যা: ‘Break in phrasal verb-এর অর্থ কথার মাঝে কথা বলা; চলমান কোনো কিছুতে হস্তক্ষেপ করা। সুতরাং শূন্যস্থানে in বসবে। Break off অর্থ সাময়িকভাবে থামা; বিরতি গ্রহণ, Break down অর্থ ভেঙে পড়া আর Break into অর্থ বলপূর্বক প্রবেশ করা।
5. Fill in the blank:
You may go for a walk if you feel-- it.
Ans - like
ব্যাখ্যা: মাঝে মাঝে like preposition হিসেবে ব্যবহৃত হয়। Feel like something অর্থ কোনো কিছু করার ঝোঁক থাকা বা কোনো কিছুর প্রত্যাশা করা। Like যোগে বাক্যটির বাংলা: যদি হাঁটার ইচ্ছা হয় তাহলে তুমি হাঁটতে যেতে পার।
6. Identify the word which is spelt incorrectly:
Ans - consciencious
ব্যাখ্যা: ভুল বানান বিশিষ্ট শব্দ হলো consciencious। শব্দটির শেষের c কে t তে রূপান্তর করলে wordটি সঠিক হবে। Conscientious শব্দটির অর্থ বিবেকবুদ্ধিসম্পন্ন। তাছাড়া perseverance অর্থ অধ্যবসায়, conualescence অর্থ রোগমুক্তির পর স্বাস্থ্যের ক্রমোন্নতি আর maintenance অর্থ রক্ষণাবেক্ষণ।
7. ‘You look terrific in that dress!’
The word ‘terrific’ in the above sentence means--
Ans - excellent
8. Someone who is capricious is--
Ans - known for sudden changes in attitude or behaviour
9. Which one of the following words is masculine?
Ans - lad
10. A man whose wife has died is called a --
11. Which word is similar to ‘appal’?
Ans - dismay
12. Which word means the opposite of ‘dearth’?
Ans - abundance
13. Identify the word which remains the same in its plural form:
Ans - aircraft
14. Identify the determiner in the following sentence:
‘I have no news for you.’
Ans - no
15. ‘A lost opportunity never returns.’ Here ‘lost’ is a-
Ans - participle
16. The saying ‘enough is enough’ is used when you want--
Ans - something to stop
17. ‘He ran with great speed.’
The underlined part of the sentence is a --
Ans - adverb phrase
18. ‘We must not be late, else we will miss the train.’ This is a --
Ans - compound sentence
19. Change the voice: ‘Who is calling me?’
Ans - By whom am I being called?
20. An extra message added at the end of a letter after it is signed is called --
Ans - postscript
21. ‘The Rape of the Lock’ by Alexander Pope is a/an --
Ans - mock-heroic poem
22. Which of the following is not an American poet?
Ans - W.B. Yeats
23. William Shakespeare was born in --
Ans - 1564
24. Tennyson’s ‘In Memoriam’ is an elegy on the death of--
Ans - Arthur Henry Hallam
25. ‘Sweet Helen’ make me immortal with a kiss.’
The sentence has been taken from the play--
Ans - Doctor Faustus
26. ‘What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet’ - Who said this?
Ans - Juliet
27. ‘Man’s love is of man’s life a thing apart, ‘Tis woman’s whole existence.’ - This is taken from the poem of -
Ans - Lord Byron
28. Who translated the ‘Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam’ into English?
Ans - Edward Fitzgerald
29. ‘Ulysses’ is a novel written by -
Ans - James Joyce
30. The short story ‘The Diamond Necklace’ was written by-
Ans - Guy de Maupassant
31. ‘All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand.’ - Who said this?
Ans - Lady Macbeth
32. ‘Where are the songs of Spring? Aye, where are they?
Think not of them, thou hast thy music too.’ - Who wrote this?
Ans - John Keats
33. Who is the central character of ‘Wuthering Heights’ by Emily Bronte?
Ans - Heathcliff
34. ‘The old order changeth, yielding place to new.’ - This line is extracted from Tennyson’s poem -
Ans - Morte d’ Arthur
35. Who worte the poem ‘The Good-Morrow’?
Ans - John Donne
36. A person who believes that laws and governments are not necessary is known as -
Ans - an anarchist
37. He went to -- hospital because he had -- heart attack.
Ans - no article, a
38. The word ‘florid’ indicates
Ans - flower
39. Complete the following sentence: ‘Had I known you were waiting outside, I --
Ans - would have invited you to come in
40. Cricket is a kind of play. It is also a kind of --
Ans - insect
41. A soporific speech is likely to --
Ans - put one to sleep
42. Select the word with right spelling -
Ans - Schizophrenia
43. Love for the whole world is called-
Ans - Philanthropy
44. When we want to mean a government by the richest class we use the term-
Ans - Plutocracy
45. Hospitals - the sick.
Ans - treat
46. The warning of the authority falls on deaf ears. Here warning does the function of -
Ans - noun
47. The word ‘culinary’ is related to
Ans - cooking
48. Identify the correct passive form of the sentence below: ‘Do you know them?’
Ans - Are they known to you?
49. ‘Panacea’ means -
Ans - cure-all
50. What is the plural number of ‘ovum’?
Ans - ova
51. কোন শব্দযুগলটি ভিন্ন?
Ans - Love, Affection
52. A Christmas Carol’ is a - by Charles Dickens.
Ans - Short novel
53. ‘There was a small reception following the wedding’. The word ‘following’ in the sentence above is a/an--
Ans - Preposition
54. Which of the following words has been formed with a prefix?
Ans - amoral
55. ‘To be, or not to be that is the question’, - is a famous soliloquy from -
Ans - Hamlet
56. ‘Geriatrics’ is the branch of medicine concerned with the diseases and care of -
Ans - old people
57. নিচের উপমাটি পূর্ণকারী শব্দ কোনটি? Finger : Hand :: Leaf:
Ans - Twig
58. Who is the author of ‘Man and Superman’?
Ans - G.B. Shaw
59. The most famous satirist in English literature is -
Ans - Jonathan Swift
60. What is the plural form of the word ‘louse’?
Ans - lice
61. Choose the correct sentence:
Ans - He refrained from taking any drastic action
62. Which word is closest in meaning to ‘Franchise’?
Ans - privilege
63. ‘Once in a blue moon’ means -
Ans - very rarely
64. ‘Jacobean Period’ of English Literature refers to -
Ans - 1603 -1625
65. A retired officer lives next door. Here, the underlined word is used as a/an :
Ans - participle
66. Choose the appropriate preposition in the blank of the following sentence: Eight men were concerned - the plot.
Ans - for
67. Fill in the gap with the right tense :
When water - it turns into ice.
Ans - freezes
68. Which one is the correct antonym of ‘frugal’?
Ans - spendthrift
69. Choose the meaning of the idiom -
‘Take the bull by the horns’.
Ans - To challenge the enemy with courage
70. Fill in the blank with the correct quantifier.
I still have - money.
Ans - a little
71. Select the right compound structure of the sentence:
‘Though he is poor, he is honest’.
Ans - He is poor but honest
72. Where do the following lines occur in?
‘Alone, alone, all, all alone,
Alone on a wide, wide sea ….’
Ans - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
73. ‘For God’s sake hold your tongue, and let me love’.
This line is written by --
Ans - John Donne
74. Fill in the blank:
Tourists - - their reservations well in advance if they want to fly to Cox’s Bazar.
Ans - had better get
75. The sun went down. The underlined word is used here as a/an:
Ans - adverb
76. Which one of the following words is in singular form?
Ans - radius
77. Identify the right passive voice of ‘It is impossible to do this’.
Ans - This is impossible to be done
78. Of the following authors, who wrote an epic?
Ans - John Milton
79. The literary term ‘euphemism’ means --
Ans - in offensive expression
80. ‘Mutton’ is a/an
Ans - Material noun
81. Reading is an excellent habit. Here, the underlined word is a -
Ans - Gerund
82. Which one of the following words is an example of a distributive pronoun?
Ans - either
83. Who is not a Victorian poet?
Ans - Alexander Pope
84. A speech of too many words is called -
Ans - A verbose speech
85. ‘Strike while the iron is hot’ is an example of -
Ans - Adverbial clause
86. The play ‘The Spanish Tragedy’ is written by -
Ans - Thomas Kyd
87. Who among the following Indian English writers is a famous novelist?
Ans - R. K. Narayan
88. The word ‘Panegyric’ means
Ans - elaborate praise
89. Select the correctly spelt word:
Ans - Heterogeneous
90. ‘Among’ is a preposition that is used when -- people are involved.
Ans - more than two
91. Which period is known as ‘The golden age of English literature’?
Ans - The Elizabethi age
92. Which one in the correct indirect narration?
“Why have you beaten my dog”? he said to me.
Ans - He demanded of me why I had beaten his dog
93. “Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism” বইটি কার লেখা?
Ans - ভি. আই লেনিন